1. Soak cottonwool buds in half a teaspoon of cinnamon oil in 1 cup of water. These can then be used to wipe down counters or left in corners where the ants have moved in.
2. Half a cup of vinegar mixed with half a cup of water is used to spray affected areas.
3. A few drops of lemon, peppermint or Tea Tree essential oil is added to a spray bottle of water. The ants don’t like the strong smell.
4. Take chalk and draw a line across their entrance.
5. Rock dust, food grade Diatomaceus earth sprinkled will also deter ants as they don’t like walking thorough it or chalk.